by Brent Curtis
As the geese begin to fly south and the leaves start to turn, the regiments of fleece and flannel invade our wardrobes in Vermont. Lying dormant for months, they have been patiently waiting, waiting in closets and drawers, knowing that a blast of cold wind will sound the alarm and start the stampede. Whether its chores on the farm, hiking the backcountry or rolling out the trash barrel in the morning, fall is the first call for fleece and flannel. Layering for the daily temperature swings is essential. Unlike the fashion mantra of New York City, “never let warmth interfere with style,” in Vermont, our style is our warmth.
- I-89 Colchester to Swanton will get more general clean up this week. One lane of travel will be maintained. In Georgia, culvert replacement projects will continue. Expect culvert work between exits 12 and 13 on the South Burlington stretch of I-89 this week. U-turn work in Milton during non-peak hours may create short delays. Expect day and night work. In Middlesex no more nighttime closures this week. Look for single lanes and reduced speeds.
- I-91 Northbound in Lyndon the right lane and shoulder will be closed for ledge removal. The left lane southbound in Springfield will be closed, affecting traffic. Rockingham bridges northbound and southbound are reduced to one lane in the construction zone. Use caution in this work zone. Bridge painting in Wilder and Hartford will cause lane restrictions and delays again this week.
Around the State
- VT 78 Highgate has a culvert replacement project affecting traffic. Expect short delays as the project winds down.
- US 5 in Lyndon has a signal update project still causing short delays.
- US 2 from Williston to South Burlington and VT 2A in Williston have more nighttime paving that will affect traffic between 7 pm and 6 am. Expect delays.
- Routes 7/2 and 127 in Colchester will have delays again this week. Look for single-lane closures and alternating one-lane traffic.
- VT 15/Main Street VT 2A/Park Street, Essex Junction will get more paving and joint work at the rail crossing this week. Expect delays.
- VT 15 Hardwick, Walden and Danville has a long-term road improvement project that includes paving. Expect delays.
- VT 15A/Park Street in Morristown is reduced to alternating one-lane traffic again this week. Expect delays.
- US 2 Cabot/Danville has reduced speed limits for a multi-year road project. Bridgework, drainage and road alignment will affect traffic. Alternating one-lane traffic in multiple work zones will cause delays.
- VT 2B from Danville to St. Johnsbury will have lane closures and delays for a road improvement project.
- US 2 in Middlesex has a bridge replacement project affecting traffic.
- Montpelier: Final paving on Elm Street/VT12 is set for this week. Work hours are 7 am to 9 pm. Expect delays because of alternating one-lane traffic. The intersection of Spring and Elm streets will get more daytime work this week. Motorists can expect a four-way stop there now. Day work on Northfield Street will have it closed to traffic this week.
- VT 14/South Main Street in Barre gets some clean up, bridge joint and rail crossing work this week. Work hours are 7 pm to 6 am. Expect alternating one-lane traffic.
- US 2 in East Montpelier, near the VT 14 bridge, has a base layer of pavement this week. Expect a 25-mph speed limit in this work zone.
- VT 14/South Main Street and US 302 North Main Street, VT 14 N/Maple Ave. in Barre, will get some more road work this week. Alternating one-lane traffic for night work, 7 pm to 6 am, again this week.
- VT 100B in Moretown has that long-term bridge project with traffic signals and one lane.
- VT 12A from Granville town line to Northfield has a road improvement project. Look for multiple work zones with alternating one-lane traffic in this project area. Expect delays.
- VT 100 in Granville has a paving project affecting traffic.
- VT 12 Randolph to Braintree has a road improvement project that includes paving. Expect lane closures and delays.
- US 7 Charlotte /Ferrisburgh will get some paving and guardrail work this week. Expect delays in this work zone.
- VT 116 between Bristol and Starksboro will see delays due to ditching and guardrail work this week.
- Middlebury Main Street/VT 30 has temporary bridges being installed. Main Street is open to all travelers.
- VT 125 in Ripton will have reduced lanes and portable traffic lights affecting traffic from the Middlebury town line to Old Town Road. There will be nine slope repair projects that will last into October.
- VT 73 in Rochester has a paving project slowing traffic. Motorists should expect alternating one-lane traffic and delays in this work zone.
- US 5 Rockingham/Springfield has paving activities from the intersection of VT 11 and US 5 all the way to the intersection of VT 103 and US 5. Expect delays.
- US 7 in Brandon has a long-term construction project going on until February shut-down. Expect delays.
- US 4 in Rutland has paving, ditching and shoulder work continuing in the work zone. Motorists should expect alternating one-lane traffic and delays in this work zone.
- RT 100A in Plymouth has a bridge replacement project wrapping up. This week expect alternating one-way traffic and delays in this work zone.
- RT 100 in Dover has a bridge project with width and lane restrictions. Expect delays.
- Route 9 Bennington/Wilmington has a 23-mile paving project affecting traffic again this week. Expect delays.
Brent Curtis is the Public Outreach Coordinator for the Agency of Transportation. Brent.email@example.com